Friday, September 25, 2009

"Will you not sit?"

I often frequent rummage sales and friends can attest that I can't pass by a disheveled chair without considering its potential. I intend to post current and future projects for the fellow chair-enthusiast. Here is a recent find. Inspired by Miss Austen and an issue of Victoria magazine, I chose to cover the seat with a delicate worn cornflower blue & white toile. I was especially drawn to the chair solely because of the harp design its back. Once I primed and painted the chair country white, I sanded away portions to reveal the original finish, thus creating a shabby chic effect.


Below: I painted the finials on this little oak seat metallic gold, plum, & magenta to complement the velvet striped cushion cover. It was originally outdated 70's burnt orange pleather. The envelope pillow was made from an upholstry sample and features a collage of antique buttons.
Below: This chair was purchased for $6 at my favourite Antioch, TN boutique, Alabaster Box. I did nothing to alter this particular chair, although I did fashion the costume rubies to the square senorita floral pillow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...