Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Eulogy for My Snickers

What is left of my heart is broken.

I had to say goodbye to my beautiful 14 year old German Shepherd on Thursday.

I don't know how I am still standing. This dog brought so much joy into my life on a daily basis, that now she is gone, I am devastated.

There's no way I could possible articulate how much this dog meant to me. I could never find the words.

Believe me, sentences cannot summarize the time this dog invested in being my shadow.

No language has a vocabulary to describe the loyalty and affection she conveyed every time I came home and wrapped my arms around her.

She would constantly find where I was in the house and check on me to make sure I was okay. If there were times when I wasn't okay, she'd find me and stay by my side. How can I attach those thoughtful actions to a few trite syllables?


 She'd accompany me on car rides (especially whenever I went to my grandparents') and enjoyed walking the neighbourhood with me even when we could only make it around half of the block. She loved to stop and smell every tree and post along the way. Lately, she would stoop to let her head brush against all the lower branches, sometimes even going out of her way to find a branch.

 I could be doing the most mundane task around the house, like blow-drying my hair, and she'd sit in the hallway to keep me company, smiling all the while.

Snicks loved all food. Because of her penchant for food, I called her Snackers, Secretary of Snacks and my little Rataouille. If the fridge was open, Snickers would be there. If someone was even in the kitchen, Snickers would make sure that she would be there just in case any crumb were to accidentally drop to the floor.

I tried to capture the sparkle of her character in countless photographs, sketches, and paintings. I even had videos of her, but they hardly mirror her true likeness. God created a remarkable animal when He made Snickers. People would always tell me that they could see her smile. She had the best smile!

I can say with confidence, she loved me and I loved her. She will be greatly missed for the rest of my days.


 

 









I thank the Lord for blessing me with her friendship and love for 13 cherished years.

6 comments:

  1. Jana,
    My heart hurts just thinking of how much yours does.
    I'll be praying for you in this really difficult time.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Jana-thanks for sharing your memories with us. It's so hard losing a pet that is a member of your family. Hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I need your address. Can you make another comment post with it and I'll keep it private? Thanks

      Delete
  3. Oh, Jana, I am so sorry. You are so right-she was such an amazing friend. My heart hurts for you and you're still in my prayers. -Makayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tribute to Snicks! She was so loved!! Can I just say HOW ADORABLE the pic was with the towel over her head?! So CUTE!!!What a great dog she was! Her little personality was so sweet and fun! To Snickers! Here! Here!

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...